“Teen Talk” is one of the sex education curricula being evaluated for adoption by the Conejo Valley Unified School District (CVUSD). The only curriculum that the California Parent Alliance endorses is the HEART curriculum because it complies with all the California laws, yet is still family-friendly. We do not recommend Teen Talk for the following reasons:
- This curriculum SEXUALIZES CHILDREN and normalizes child sex or desensitizes children to sexual things. It gives examples of children having sex or imply many of their peers are sexually active. It glamorizes sex, uses graphic materials, teaches explicit sexual vocabulary, or encourages discussion of sexual experiences, attractions, fantasies or desires.
- This curriculum TEACHES CHILDREN TO CONSENT TO SEX. Teaches children how to negotiate sexual encounters or how to ask for or get “consent” from other children to engage in sexual acts with them. While this may be appropriate for adults, children of minor age should never be encouraged to “consent” to sex. “Consent” is often taught under the banner of sexual abuse prevention. Sex with minors is illegal in the state of CA.
- This curriculum PROMOTES ANAL AND ORAL SEX, normalizes these high-risk sexual behaviors, and may omit vital medical facts, such as the extremely high STI infection rates (i.e. HIV and HPV) and the oral and anal cancer rates of these high-risk sex acts.
- This curriculum normalizes or promotes acceptance or exploration of diverse sexual orientations, sometimes in violation of state education laws. It omits vital health information and/or may provide medically inaccurate information about the risks of the associated sexual practices.
- This curriculum prioritizes SEXUAL PLEASURE and teaches children they are entitled to or have a “right” to sexual pleasure or encourages children to seek out sexual pleasure. It fails to present data on the multiple negative potential outcomes for sexually active children.
- This curriculum PROMOTES SOLO AND/OR MUTUAL MASTURBATION. While masturbation can be part of normal child development, it instead encourages masturbation at young ages, which may make children more vulnerable to pornography use, sexual addictions or sexual exploitation. It instructs children on how to masturbate or engage in mutual masturbation.
- This curriculum PROMOTES CONDOM USE IN INAPPROPRIATE WAYS and inappropriately eroticizes condom use (e.g., emphasizing sexual pleasure or “fun” with condoms) or uses sexually explicit methods (i.e., penis and vagina models, seductive role plays, etc.) to promote condom use to children. It provides medically inaccurate information on condom effectiveness and omits or deemphasizes failure rates. Like other new sex education, curricula, it implies that condoms will provide protection against pregnancy or STIs, but does not explicitly warn that the protection offered by condoms is only partial.
- This curriculum PROMOTES PREMATURE SEXUAL AUTONOMY. It teaches children they can choose to have sex when they feel they are ready or when they find a trusted partner. It fails to provide data about the well-documented negative consequences of early sexual debut. It also fails to encourage sexually active children to return to the safety of abstinence.
- This curriculum FAILS TO ESTABLISH ABSTINENCE AS THE EXPECTED STANDARD and fails to establish abstinence (or a return to abstinence) as the expected standard for all school age children. Mentions abstinence only in passing. Teaches children that all sexual activity—other than “unprotected” vaginal and oral sex—is acceptable, and even healthy. Presents abstinence and “protected” sex as equally good options for children, even though no sexual activity is truly protected.
- This curriculum PROMOTES TRANSGENDER IDEOLOGY. It promotes affirmation of and/or exploration of diverse gender identities. It may convince children they can change their gender or identify as multiple genders, or may present other unscientific and medically inaccurate theories. It fails to teach that most gender-confused children resolve their confusion by adulthood and that extreme gender confusion is a mental health disorder (gender dysphoria) that can be helped with mental health intervention.
- This curriculum PROMOTES CONTRACEPTION/ABORTION TO CHILDREN. It also presents abortion as a safe or positive option while omitting data on the many potential negative physical and mental health consequences. It teaches children they have a right to abortion and refers them to abortion providers. May encourage the use of contraceptives, while failing to present failure rates or side effects.
- This curriculum PROMOTES PEER-TO-PEER SEX ED OR SEXUAL RIGHTS ADVOCACY. It trains children to teach other children about sex or sexual pleasure, through peer-to-peer initiatives. It recruits children as spokespeople to advocate for highly controversial sexual rights (including a right to CSE itself) or to promote abortion.
- This curriculum UNDERMINES TRADITIONAL VALUES AND BELIEFS. It also encourages children to question their parents’ beliefs or their cultural or religious values regarding sex, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- This curriculum UNDERMINES PARENTS OR PARENTAL RIGHTS. It instructs children they have rights to confidentiality and privacy from their parents. Children can learn how to access sexual commodities or services, including abortion, without parental consent. It instructs children not to tell their parents what they are being taught about sex in school.
- This curriculum REFERS CHILDREN TO HARMFUL RESOURCES. It also refers children to harmful websites, materials or outside entities. Also specifically refers children to Planned Parenthood or their affiliates or partners for their lucrative services or commodities (i.e., sexual counseling, condoms, contraceptives, gender hormones, STI testing and treatment, abortions, etc.). Please Note: A conflict of interest exists whenever an entity that profits from sexualizing children is involved in creating or implementing sex education programs. (For more information on how Planned Parenthood sexualizes children for profit see http://www.WaronChildren.org and http://www.InvestigateIPPF.org)
Please follow and like us: